Recreated from Motown units owned by Eight-time Grammy winning producer, mixdown artist, and innovative engineering genius Michael Brauer, Heritage Audio has left no stone unturned, recreating the unmistakably huge, punchy, and warm signature sound that makes this EQ as classic as the hits it helped create.
From the 10-gauge hand brushed aluminum face plate, historically accurate control layout including custom molded bakelite knobs, the MOTORCITY Equalizer looks the part. More importantly, the unique passive equalization circuit is identical and fully faithful to the original design. The MOTORCITY EQualizer is so precise, it stands as the only EQ available that can rival, or even “best” the popular Pultec EQ.
The MOTORCITY EQualizer is a completely analog, passive EQ design with seven accessible frequency points across the tonal spectrum. Each frequency has a stepped rotary switch capable of a flat response, or up or down up 8db in 1dB increments. Frequency points graduate from 50hz, 130hz, 320hz and 800hz before jumping to 2000hz, 5000hz, peaking at 12,500hz.
The front panel also features a simple in/out/off toggle switch with top hat knob and jewel light power indicator. All rotary switches have easy to read from a distance “General Radio” bakelite style knobs recreated to look exactly like the originals (remember, this is not a slider-style graphic EQ). Finally, it features a master gain control (-8db/+8db) , again in 1dB increments.
The incredibly simple 1960’s accurate back panel features a power supply jack, and an XLR input and output. The sound itself is exactly what you’d expect. It packs a punch without sounding harsh or distorted. While something as simple as an analog seven band EQ might sound more like hype than hyper goodness, hearing is believing.
Why has Heritage audio gone through the seemingly impossible task of bringing them back to life? Michael Brauer will tell you this: It simply got that sound! The Heritage audio MOTORCITY EQ is not a digital equivalent, not a respectfully close replica and not a more compatible modernized “improvement”.
The MOTORCITY EQualizer is nothing more or less than the genuine article finally made available for the general public.. For the very first time in history, you can integrate this true spec to spec carbon copy of both form and function into your own studio.
48V PSU included.
- Dead nuts replica of Michael Brauer´s units designed at Motown’s“ Hitsville” studio for private use.
- First time publicly available. Motown’s Chief technical engineer and miracle worker Mike McLean´s take on the smart graphic eq designed for the film industry and made by Cinema Engineering, Langevin and Altec.
- Shockingly clever passive design uses no less than 21 inductors and 21 tone capacitors ( 3 each per band) exclusively made for Heritage Audio, matching Brauer´s values to 1% tolerances.
- Heavy duty stepped rotary switches used for all 7 eq bands and gain control.
- UTC replica input transformer transformer with modified turns ratio for better integration into modern studios. Exclusively made for Heritage Audio.
- Carnhill-driven output line amp substitutes the original´s Achilles heel Opamp-labs output.
- In/Out/Off Lever switch allows you to A/B the effect of EQ settings.
US and EU parcels ship via UPS, ETA 1-7 working days from pickup day zero. That also applies to most
All shipments are fully insured.
Bigger shipments requiring pallets or custom made crates ship to US, CA, JP, CN, AU and other outside of EU locations via DHL Air Freight, ETA is normally approx. 7-14 working days from pickup day zero.
Big shipments inside EU ship via different freight companies, recently mostly via ACE Logistics. Freight forwarders can use different courier companies for deliveries to final destinations.
Palletising and crating time can vary depending on the size of the shipment and packaging queue. We pack all our shipments with great care.
You are most welcome to pick your order up yourself from our Retrosonic Pro Audio showroom, studio and warehouse in Tallinn, Estonia.
We ship worldwide – contact us for a personal shipping quote or any other questions.
VAT (Value Added Tax) can be deducted if you have a company with a valid EU VAT number or if you're based outside of the EU. Non-EU buyers pay all and any import tax and duty as regulated by their local customs.