Painstakingly recreated with the utmost attention to detail; United's take on both vintage and modern variants of a very classic and much desired condenser microphone that has been used on countless hit records.
In Vintage mode, the UT Twin87 polarizes its capsule directly by phantom power voltages, taking advantage of an insulated, dual backplate capsule design — just as the earliest "87-style" microphones did. The high-Z and de-emphasis circuitry use all of the same component choices as the original. This yields a slightly warmer, softer and forgiving sound.
In Modern mode, the capsule is polarized at a higher voltage using an FET oscillator circuit as found on later revisions of the classic mic, yielding a higher capsule sensitivity and feeding a hotter signal into the amplifier circuitry. Its high-Z and de-emphasis circuitry likewise use all of the same component choices as much later “87-style” designs. This yields a louder, slightly brighter and more articulate response, with an extended top end reach and a more ‘up-front’ character.
- Modern / Vintage switch isn’t just some gimic, or voice-trickery — the entire circuit reconfigures itself to the original specifications, and energizes the capsule to the same specifications.
- Custom United 24k gold sputtered dual diaphragm/dual backplate K87 style capsule.
- Custom wound, American-made United transformer with 4x the iron mass of “other 87s”.
- The only “87-style” microphone that has options to engage/disengage it’s RF filter — a modular approach that captures both versions of the classic, as well as combinations inbetween!
- True-cardiod mod built right in; the very same modifcation done to vintage microphones by the most demanding of engineers, without sacrificing polar pattern selection.
- Absolute workhorse, a desert-island microphone for professional studios and voiceover work.
- Clean, clear, articulate, open sound. Low noise and high headroom and dynamic range.
US and EU parcels ship via UPS, ETA 1-7 working days from pickup day zero. That also applies to most
All shipments are fully insured.
Bigger shipments requiring pallets or custom made crates ship to US, CA, JP, CN, AU and other outside of EU locations via DHL Air Freight, ETA is normally approx. 7-14 working days from pickup day zero.
Big shipments inside EU ship via different freight companies, recently mostly via ACE Logistics. Freight forwarders can use different courier companies for deliveries to final destinations.
Palletising and crating time can vary depending on the size of the shipment and packaging queue. We pack all our shipments with great care.
You are most welcome to pick your order up yourself from our Retrosonic Pro Audio showroom, studio and warehouse in Tallinn, Estonia.
We ship worldwide – contact us for a personal shipping quote or any other questions.
VAT (Value Added Tax) can be deducted if you have a company with a valid EU VAT number or if you're based outside of the EU. Non-EU buyers pay all and any import tax and duty as regulated by their local customs.